Monday, April 19, 2010

The World is My Classroom

I made the decision not to go to college right now, so that I can pursue self-directed study. That may sound crazy to some people, but with the support of my parents, I decided that this is the best path for me, for now.

So what am I doing? What is "self-directed study?" I'm using these years to hone my writing skills, to study, practice, and learn more about photography and photo editing, and I'm attempting to capture and compose the music I hear in my head. I'm studying language, the sound and flow of words in English and other tongues. I'm reading books on writing, and analyzing my own writing for ways to improve. I'm journaling, journaling, journaling. I'm experimenting with photography, I'm trying my hand at portraiture. All of these things and more.

I must train myself to think of these years as my "college years," even though I'm not actually going there.  I need to get into that mindset, so that I'll start acting that way, with focused intensity, dedication, and imagination, so that I'll be productive and gain knowledge that will open doors for me in the future. Above all, I'm placing my trust in God's hands. I may not see it yet, but I know he has a plan for my life.


The world is my classroom... and now is the time for learning.

5 comments:

Galadriel said...

I have found other online friends who do not plan to pursue a college education, but your explanation helps me understand it better. I will be attending college, because.
a. I want to.
b. I couldn't stay focused long enough at home...maybe?
c. I like the idea of going somewhere where people want to learn.
Good luck with your plan.
p.s. Bluewillow is SWEET! I even dreamed I was her.

Rachel Kimberly said...

I just thought I'd clarify that I used to really look forward to college, but I tried taking some college classes while I was still in high school, and I discovered that I wasn't ready for it yet. I think it's great when other people (like my brother) find a passion and a college that fits that passion. Someday that may even be me. But for now, I think I'm doing what I was called to do.

@Gala- It's great that you know what's right for you and your education. Everybody has a different way of learning. :) And you dreamed about Bluewillow? Cool! I'm glad you like it.

Galadriel said...

Hey, I got to page 230 or so of Bluewillow...they were wandering around in paradise...
Green swirled his fingers around. “It is a gift from the king to his people— his children. He says that whoever drinks of the water that he gives will never be thirsty again.”
I looked longingly
and the stupid text turned into boxes. Help

Hannah Nicole said...

Oh, Evergreeeeeeena....you might want to come stop by my blog...;-)

Rachel Danielle said...

The world is my classroom... love it! I've awarded your blog with the stylish blog award, which you can find on my blog.